Wednesday, March 23, 2016

To wake next to you {poem}




















Do all lovers lose sleep over each other?

I do not mean in worry,
distrust or fear.

I do not mean to toss and turn
writhing against
a discontented heart.

No, I mean to be held in
love under the stars,
holding on to any amount of awake--
as I do--
just to hear the subtle,
easy lull of your breath.

Drift in and out of dreams
at best,
all to aware of
my arm draped casually
at your side,
just your finger tips on my thigh.

When no dream could be
as sweet as
leaning into the warmth of
your chest
as the watching moon disappears
and the sun spreads out
over our sheets.

I want to wake
but where I ended
the night next to you,
and just barely touch my lips to yours,
watch the lines on your brow
form and soften
and your shoulders sigh
into the pillows,
a smile,
even before you open your eyes
and pull me in.

Good morning.

Kiss me back.
Make me laugh.
Tell me you waited all night
to wake up to me,
the reality for lovers
better than the sweetest of dreams.




As published by Elephant Journal: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2016/03/i-dreamed-of-waking-with-you-poem/



No comments:

Post a Comment